Special things on the regular
Buckslip is a popular email by a good gang of people, including us, about the week and the things we read in it. Every Sunday afternoon (Toronto time), it’ll appear in your inbox with our links and what we think of them. Sign up for it here.
We Must Love Each Other or We Must Die is a monthlyish mix of new music and found sound curated by Patrick. These are long (3 hours plus) explorations in new ambient, experimental, classical and other (mostly) quiet sounds, designed to be pretty great to work to. Its awkward name is sort-of explained in the very first episode.
Other stuff we’ve been playing at
We both continue to write for other outlets, when we have the opportunity. Here’s a few of our recent things.
- Chris co-wrote this op-ed for The Globe and Mail with musician Bruno Capinan about the election of Jair Bolsonaro as Brazil’s new president.
- Patrick explored the Newfoundland cod fishery for CNN & Roads & Kingdoms’ Explore Parts Unknown.
- Chris produced this mini-doc for Monocle 24 on how Toronto’s Grape Witches are changing the way we consume and think about wine.
- Chris spoke to some unusual sources on the legalisation of pot for The Guardian.
- For a cover story in Azure, Patrick had a frank Q&A With the always interesting Dutch architect Winy Maas of MVRDV.
- For Kinfolk, Chris looked at how brothers Jagmeet and Gurratan Singh are redressing the stereotype of “image-conscious” politicians.
- Patrick wrote about grief, wild places and the art of listening for The Saturday Paper in Australia.